Mexican Flour Tortillas Recipe
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Bake Time: 3 minutes / each
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: easy
- 4 cups (1/2 kg) all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 cup (63 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Step 1 – Preparing the Dough:
1- Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix well.
2- Add the vegetable oil and mix in well with the flour. Keep rubbing the flour between your palms until the oil is well integrated and you get a sandy texture.
3- Add the sour cream (or heavy cream) to the flour mixture. Mix well.
4- Add the milk little by little, while mixing the flour.
5- Mix the ingredients together with your hands until you can start forming a ball of dough. Knead lightly by pushing the dough with your palms until the dough become smooth.
6- Roll the dough into a ball and place it in a plastic bag.
7- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Step 2 – Shaping the Tortilla:1- Once the dough rest, you’ll notice it becomes softer. Take a bit of the dough to form small balls the size of a gold ball.
2- Roll the balls by pushing the dough into the center until you get dough balls with a smooth surface.
3- Sprinkle flour in your working station.
4- Using a rolling pin, roll the balls into flat round shaped tortillas (6-7 inches diameter).
5- Hand the flat tortillas around the corners of a bowl. Do not stack them on top of each other!
- Step 3 – Cooking the Tortilla:1- Heat your pan on medium-high heat until it’s hot.
2- Place one flat tortilla in the hot pan.
3- Cook one side for 10-15 seconds (you will see small bumbs forming. Once the first side is cooked (you will see the dough changing color). Flip the tortilla.
4- Cook the second side for another 10-15 seconds. once the second side is cooked, flip again to the first side.
5- Cook for another 5 seconds, you will se the tortilla inflating (like a balloon). It’s ready! remove the tortilla from the pan and place in a plate. The tortilla will deflate – it’s normal.
6- Continue cooking all the tortillas!Serve the tortillas filled with anything you want or check the next video to see how to make Homemade Mexican Tacos!