I am crazy about the history of pirates and so had to go to Palizada, a river settlement of low houses with the unusual characteristic of roofs with French tiles. These tiles tell about the town’s past: buccaneers used them as ballast in their ships and traded them for trunks of logwood, a precious wood sold in Europe for use in making dyes.
Don’t Miss –
- Eating a Manila mango: the area is an important producer of the fruit.
- Trying freshwater gar, a dish that isn’t available in many other places.
- Eating a cinnamon churro from the vendors outside the church.
- Taking a trip to Laguna de Terminos on the Palizada River.
- The traditional Carnaval before Lent.
- The Day of the Dead in November.